You will never get a second chance to make a good first impression – Will Rogers
The first impressions of your website are no different to anywhere else. If you have a website that has been live for a while and you can say that you honestly have never had an enquiry through it or a sign up to your newsletter, here are several ways that you can fine tune your website so that is gains more leads for you.
1. Gift a free eBook or whitepaper with insights that will help them immediately with their problem.
While it might take some time to set this up this one is a great way to gain leads and build your credibility instantly with the reader.
2. Make sure that your web copy makes sense and that it is SEO friendly.
Not everyone has a big budget for marketing their business or website so if you have created your own copy be sure to send it to mentors, colleagues or friends and family. Ask them to be honest and make sure that they understand what you are trying to achieve. Questions to ask are would you contact me, would you recommend to someone you know looking for these services and is spelling and grammar correct. Ask them what would they want to see there? What would fulfill their needs?
If you have a WordPress website I use and highly recommend the Yoast SEO plugin. It will help you and give advice on what you need to do to make sure your pages are optimised and sit in the best position possible.
3. Make sure that you always review and change what isn’t working.
This is an important one. I can’t tell you how many clients and virtual assistants that I have worked with that wonder why their website isn’t working for them. The best thing here is to ensure that you have Google Analytics and have goals set so that you know exactly when a lead generating page has been visited and so that you can monitor if it works or not. If you get several notifications it isn’t working, then something has to change. If you try tip 2 then this will also help to ascertain what needs to be altered.
It’s scary when you first start out, but I assure you once you get the rhythm it becomes much easier. Blogging is not only a great way to ensure that your website content fresh, it also has many other benefits including;
- Content creation
- It helps with your website SEO
- Builds your online profile and credibility
- Creates valuable content to share amongst your social media profiles and your newsletter updates
- Shows that you are an expert in your field
- It lets your visitors know what to expect of you and that you are a qualified virtual assistant
Blogging is by all means not an instant fix to gain more leads and is a long term strategy to market your Virtual Assistant business. It does take time to build your following but is well worth the effort.
5. Generally, you have no more than 5 seconds to get someone’s attention. When a prospect lands on your website they should instantly be able to see what services you offer, how to find more information and how you stand out from all of the other websites that they have been searching on. Creating something that sparks their interest such as a free eBook is a great way to capture their interest and help to start your relationship with them.
6. Make it easy to contact you. Have you ever been on a website that makes it difficult to contact the business? It is very frustrating isn’t it? I was recently on a holiday and only had use of my mobile and I can’t tell you how many sites I went on only to find that their website wasn’t responsive or they had their email or phone number set as an image. Needless to say that they never received my call. This is what will happen if you make it difficult to get in touch with you. If the worry of too much SPAM is stopping you from making it easy there are many different ways to help eliminate emails from spammers.
7. You should never set and forget NO website should be developed and expected to generate results.
Make sure that you schedule time in for your business (make yourself a client) and take the time to always make sure your site is fresh. Be sure to continually update projects and show people your work.
Almost everyone will make a good first impression, but only a few will make lasting impressions. ~ Sonya Parker
If there is one thing that you take from these suggestions let it be to build trust. Make it your number one reason for customers to contact and buy from you, because most of the time it’s more important than price.
Written by Katie Martin
Katie Martin is the Head VA at Absolute Assistance – Virtual Assistant and has extensive experience working with sole traders, small to medium businesses, not-for-profit organisations as well as large FMCG corporations providing office support, customer service, data entry, sales, graphic design, marketing, staff supervision and event coordination services.
Coupled with qualifications in business marketing, event management and administration, Katie has well-developed organisational and problem-solving skills that highlight her flexibility, initiative and ability to liaise with a broad range of clients.